Have Your Pet Avoid These Common Holiday Foods

The holidays are here! It’s a sure bet that you’ll be including your animal companion in the festivities. Just make sure that they can’t get their paws on any harmful holiday foods. Below, your Lafayette, LA veterinarian tells you about a few human foods to have your pet avoid:

Garlic, Onions, Chives

Garlic, onions, chives, leeks, scallions, and shallots are all members of the allium species of foods, and they’re all toxic for our animal friends. Garlic, in particular, has the highest concentration of the toxin. Never allow your pet to eat these foods in any form, or eat foods that are made with members of the allium family.

Grapes and Raisins

It’s still not known exactly why some pets experience toxic reactions to grapes and raisins, and some pets seem to have no reaction to them at all. Nonetheless, it’s important that you don’t take a risk when it comes to your pet’s health. Keep them far away from grapes and raisins at all times.

Rich, Fatty, or Buttery Foods

There are plenty of fatty, buttery, and rich foods floating around during the holiday season. Don’t let your pets indulge. While fat and butter aren’t necessarily toxic to animals, too much of these sorts of foods will cause an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea. Too much fat at once can even lead to deadly pancreatitis in some cases!


Most pet owners know that chocolate is very bad for their animal companions. Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, powdered versions, etc.—contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that aren’t safe for pets to consume. If you’re sitting out a bowl of chocolates for party or dinner guests, keep it somewhere that pets can’t reach.


Many candies, gums, and even baked pastry foods are sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar substitute that has toxic properties for our pets. It doesn’t take much to poison an animal, so use caution—store these sorts of foods in closed cabinets where pets won’t have access.

Alcoholic Beverages

Did you know that alcohol affects pets just like it affects us? Pets, though, aren’t equipped to handle alcohol as well as we are. Avoid dangerous symptoms of poisoning like drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse by restricting your pet’s access to any and all alcoholic beverages.

Want more pet-safety tips ahead of the holiday season? Contact your Lafayette, LA veterinarian today.

Comments are closed.